You may or may not know that I have been working on and off on writing a book about Grief that deals more specifically with birth parent grief/adoption grief because I think it could be a good thing to do to help others in writing this book.
So, I have a questionnaire for you to answer, if you’d like and if you haven’t answered it in the past already.
I’ve been working on and off on putting together thoughts, experiences and advice of others as well as my own in a book about grief with adoption and leaning more toward birth parent grief since I am a birth/first mother and have a little more life experience in that area.
Anyway, I am welcome to any and all input in response to the questions, I will post below for you to answer. If you are okay with me using what you say in the book then please let me know it’s okay. If you don’t want your real name used then tell me and I will put a different name to protect your confidentiality and privacy.
Also, please write/type up your responses and e-mail them to me at Creusa28@yahoo.com.
1) Where are you at post placement? As in how far out, 1 month, 2 months, 20 years, etc.
2) Describe your grief, as it is now and as it was in the beginning, in general?
3) Was/Is your adoption open, closed or semi-open? How do you think that influenced your grief?
4) How have you dealt with your grief so far? What have been the most effective ways you have found to deal with your grief thus bringing you healing?
5) What are some myths that you may have had or still have to dispel or deal with before you could really grieve? Or perhaps myths that you had/have a hard time with?
6) What questions do or did you have about Grief post placement?
7) What do you wish you’d known about grief that you know now?
8 ) What advice or pointers would you give those who are dealing with grief or going to be dealing with grief post placement?
9) What do you think others (the world) should know about a birth parent’s grief?
I apologize if some of the questions seem long or redundant. I just want to make sure I cover certain areas of this topic in writing this book.
Also if you have any recommendations for something you think would be good to include in the book then please let me know. I am open to new ideas and suggestions as I am still in this process of putting this book together and seeing how it evolves and what the best, most effective approach is to take. I want to help others and give birth parents especially a book on grief that is specifically for them, to help them, give them ideas and/or comfort so that they can know it is normal and alright to feel and go through the things they do with grief post placement.
I am also putting this together and writing this book in hopes of it being another good resource for knowledge for just general people in the world. I think everyone should know and be able to read in a book about what we, as birth parents, experience in grief with adoption post placement. I think there needs to be more recognition in connection to the birth parent grief as well as other things so I am hoping to be another voice for birth parents when putting together this book on grief.
Any and all input from all of you would be very helpful for me with this book idea and I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for your time and input in advance.